Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Chapter 2 - The Role of the Holy Spirit in Evangelism
Richardson states on the bottom of page 32 "Nothing would transform our pictures and practices of evangelism like rediscovering the role of the Holy Spirit and learning to go along for the ride." To, me that sums up this chapter very well. Evagelism or proclaiming the Good News is an intensely spiritual endeavor and for me I have, in the past, made it more of a duty that is done whenever I felt enough guilt to prompt me to action. In this chapter we are being challenged to stay in sync with the movement and prompting of the Holy Spirit. Thus we respond to His leadership and follow him into a conversation instead of barging into a persons life not knowing whether or not God was working in their life or not. Recognizing that God is truly at work in other people is powerful and exciting. I feel a freedom knowing that I can trust the Spirit to lead me in sharing my faith or helping move others toward Christ instead of me having to discover that by trial and error. Question: Richardson states on page 34 near the bottom of the page, "But I do not believe Jesus did all those miracles and knew all those things because He was God." He says on the top of the next page, "The key is not that Jesus is divine but that Jesus is filled with the Holy Spirit." What do you think he is saying here? Is this a statement about the diety of Christ or is it a statement about empowering presence of the Holy Spirit? If it is the latter, how can that impact us as we seek to Reimagine evangelism in 2010? If it is a statement about His diety, how do you interpret that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I was in Sam's over lunch today and just realized how exciting it was to stop and whisper a prayer asking the Holy Spirit to let me in on any activity around me there. How amazing to think that everywhere we go, no matter what we are doing we can join God in the revolution of moving people away from darkness into Christ.
ReplyDeleteAt other times, I find myself so wrapped up in ME that I have little desire to join Him. Those are consistently the times that I don't spend time connecting with Him in His Word and in Prayer. I get really selfish then as I default to my old nature. Gotta choose the new life and the new nature God has given and it only comes alive as I abide in Christ.
I'm enjoying commenting to myself :) I do this a lot anyway. Now I just have it in writing. You may all discover another side of your pastor!
ReplyDeleteI am rereading chapter 2. where are we supposed to be?
ReplyDeleteARE WE ALWAYS GOING TO HAVE TO USE THIS MAIL AND PASSWORD STUFF?
ReplyDeleteDo you have any idea of how much I dislike haveing to use using this password stuff?
I not only agree with your assesment by I realize that Jesus was fully as human as you or myself, but he was also fully God. As a human Jesus totally gave up his Godly powers to totally be a man. If this were not true then his dying on the cross would have no meaning. Christ's power was the Holy Spirt living within Him like he does with all of us who have accepted Christ as our Saviour. Christ did provide a very convenient channel for the power of God (Holy Spirit)to work through.
ReplyDeleteThe thing this really points out to me is just how amazing the Trinity really is. I'm very sorry that some on this earth don't see or understand that. That's why we are to go out with the Holy Spirit and develop relationships with them to share Christ with them. Interesting job description, very interesting!
I think his statement is about Jesus empowering the presence of the Holy Spirit. I would say that I'm not sure that I can empower that presence but rather allow it do empower itself through me. I know that the Holy Spirit is within me but I get in the way and don't let Him work. Jesus not only empowered the Holy Spirit but He allow Him to work. I would suggest that we don't empower the Holy Spirit, rather we allow the Holy Spirit to empower us.
ReplyDelete